Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rambutan


 I remember the first time I seen this exotic fruit I was young and very curious.  To me it resembled some wild sea life that you would find in the ocean!


While this is a more foreign fruit to us in the US, this tropical sweet delicious fruit is quite popular in Asia and an important crop in Thailand.  It is so popular that there is actually a special day that has been dedicated to Rambutan that happens in August!

I highly suggest that if you ever have the chance to see the world outside of what we are used to in our own comfort zones then do so by all means!  My parents took us on a vacation to Thailand many years ago.  I remember the first time I seen this exotic fruit I was young and very curious.  To me it resembled some wild sea life that you would find in the ocean!  It has a “hairy” type of red-ish outside skin that is tender like an orange that when peeled it reveals a translucent white middle with such a sweet flavor and a texture that is similar to a grape, and in the center is a chestnut like colored large stone pit.

Uses
I have not been able to find them fresh here but I buy them from any international/Asian market by can, much like the Lychees my boys love them as a sweet dessert!  They are used in making jams and jellies, sold fresh (depending on where you are) and used in fruit salads or eaten plain right out of the can.
Benefit
When it comes to the health benefits that come in Rambutans you will find that they are a very high source of vitamin C protecting cells from fee radical damage and improving the absorption of iron. They contain copper which is needed for the production of red and white blood cells as well as manganese, the body uses to help manufacture and activate certain enzymes.   They also contain trace elements of many other nutrients like potassium and calcium. 
Try my them in My Thai fruit salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment