Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas M&M Cookies in a Jar

That’s it everybody, Christmas has come and gone, wait what am I talking about the year has all but come and gone!  I know, it was hectic leading up to it, with all the shopping, the party planning, the food preparation, the present wrapping and name tagging and then the crafty creative gift giving!  Now that it is somewhat behind me (minus the tree and all the decorations that need to come down) I have time to get back into the swing of things, sorta kinda!  So here I am! 
On a side note I just wanted to say, everyone has their own idea of what style of tree they like to have in their home.  Me, I like a family tree.  You know the ones with the personal affect to it!  Our youngest has a thing about decorating the tree.  The only thing is he tends to place the ornaments all in the one area he is sitting in front of!  So every time he isn't looking there is some rearranging that goes on. Here are some final product shots!  Love that little guy!  :)



Okay, back to my story.  
Every year since we moved here during Christmas all the neighbors give each other a little somethin-somethin.  Nothing extreme just something sweet, something with a little expression to wish a Merry Christmas.  Let me share with you what they shared with me.  One of our neighbors owns a couple of chain restaurants and they brought us over a family picture they had taken on a trip and with it came a letter telling us who they are as a family, where each one is at whether it be school or career, and what they have been doing throughout the year. With that came a tag with a cute saying and a bottle of their business signature sauce that went along with it.  I thought how thoughtful is that! 
Our next door neighbor got us a Christmas gift, one year we received an ornamental ball decoration, we have also received a moose and this year a set of one reindeer and one bear dressed like elves.  I have no idea where they go to find these gifts but I love them, they just have that little special touch, it is a gift they put thought into for the season and it is just right every year. 

Now I don’t want to discredit the cookies and the pumpkin bread I made the previous year’s, because I was very happy about the whole idea and the outcome (I do not have any pictures but you’ll just have to take my word for it).  But I really wanted to think of something that I could make myself with that special somethin-somethin.   
The idea...
A gift.  Something with a personal touch, original, cute and clever and it has to have that somethin-somethin factor. But what will that be? 
Then to my surprise our daughter comes home from her work party with a somethin-somethin gift!  Then boom, this gift then leads to our family neighborly gift idea!  Which is not the same but the concept is there!

This year’s gift will be a Mason jar Christmas cookie mix this one has taken me to an all new high on my list of neighborly gift giving this year!  I'm telling you if this isn't fun I don't know what is! 
Our daughter found this great idea here.   http://www.bakerella.com/mix-things-up/
The directions are simple and the note attached was cute and clever it went like this You're so sweet having you as our neighbor is such a "treat" We wish you joy beyond "measure" (notice I attached some measuring spoons to the jar, see I'm thinking) this holiday season.  LOVED THIS!
Ingredients
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup & leveled
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cooking oats
3/4 cup m&ms
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 – 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I didn't use any pecans)
Directions
Layer the ingredients:
First: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt
Second: oats
Third: m&ms
Fourth: chocolate chips
Fifth: brown sugar
Sixth: white sugar
Seventh would have been the pecans if I used them.  Hint, make sure to try to pack it down, this baby fill up to the brim!

At the bottom of the card I added directions on how to make them.

Add
1 slightly beaten egg
1/2 cup butter (melted slightly in the microwave)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Use the back of a large spoon to work it all together. You may even need to use your hands to get everything incorporated.

Absolutely g-r-r-r-reat!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment