Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Feast With Less Fuss Thanksgiving Day

Thanksgiving is all but here everybody, and with it can come all the fuss and stress.  Are you ready?  In the past you could find me spending Thanksgiving slaving away in the kitchen dish after dish!  From sun up to sundown you name it, you would find me slicing and dicing my heart away, frying, baking, broiling, cleaning and putting things away, just a running around with my head cut off!  Then like a stampede the family would arrive!  Sometimes I was ready sometimes I was not!  They come in, I finish preparing and setting the table we eat and rest, some of us eat some more, they chit chat for a bit watching some T.V. and then it's time for the family to be off and about, I prepare leftovers and they leave me to my own devices, the leftovers and clean up, ugg!

Not these days, not me anymore!  I want wonderful food and a lot of good times!  I love Thanksgiving and all that the holiday can bring and I want to really enjoy them.  I do not plan on missing a thing, now I try to make sure I am able to take it easy, spending less time in the kitchen and more time in the living room with family and friends.  The work is still there trust me, but it is better time spent. 

And do not think I do not put my own unique little twists of flavor and special touches in my Thanksgiving dinner we have to have that!

Now for me to ensure I reach my goal, planning begins early.  This year I have already sat down and decided what the menu will include.  I try to select the less time- consuming dishes or ones I can buy or make days ahead when at all possible.  I did my shopping for ingredients last week I have the turkey thawing in the fridge as we speak, all 22 pounds of it, and I took some shortcuts along the way instead of making a pumpkin pie I bought one, instead of the bake-from-scratch rolls I will buy bake and serve delicious rolls!  I plan to make a pie and I will be using some readymade ingredients, like canned and frozen pie crust ingredients. Trust me the change of pace and additional time spent with everyone will be more enjoyable!

Beginning when I get off work today (Tuesday) I will start preparing as much food as I can, I will make my casseroles and freeze them.  Peel, slice, chopped and refrigerate vegetables and fruit.  Bake all of the desserts and anything else that can be warmed up and served.
My honey helps me with the turkey my lifesaver, he always offers to help and I accept the offer gladly!  He doesn't mind, he has his own little twists he likes to add and we get to spend more time together side by side.

Forget about setting the table lining it with plates, silverware, food and drink!  I will be serving our Thanksgiving food buffet style, and let my family dig in I have disposable dinnerware to help save me time cleaning up afterwards. While I think I have bought way too much food I have worked to keep things simpler this year and I will be all smiles and spend more of Thanksgiving Day enjoying time with my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment