Monday, July 25, 2011

A Pre-Wedding Party


“It started with a kiss and it turned into this…
Two people are getting married!”

It seems like it is most definitely wedding season, if there ever was one.


The day is coming soon when we all will come together to celebrate the marriage of the groom and the bride wishing them a lifetime of happy years and memories, long on laughter, and short on tears, where love is enduring dreams and that the sweet dreams come true.

Awwww how exciting!


With that said, along with the wedding invitation I received the ever so essential bridal shower invitation from my friend who is hosting the shower with her daughter for her daughter-in-law to be, with love. And that kind of set the tone for me for the celebrations that would come ahead.

The invitation had all the important information you would need, the name of the bride (of course), the date, time, location, and the address. Location...I have to tell you friends, I am not a fan of directions, it often leads me array or is it astray? It really doesn’t matter which way you look at it I get lost easily!  So I sort of stress when it comes to direction.


So I was really excited for Saturday, after the shower I had plans to go to a baseball game that evening, so I wanted to make sure I was able to time everything just so. They had a registry which I love that whole idea and insist on it next to sending money or gift cards! The registry was at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond. It took quite a bit of stress off me trying to find that right gift off of me, whew.
A party with a purpose.  The theme variation of the afternoon was “Kitchen Bath & Recipe Bridal Shower” in her honor of course. It seems like kitchen showers are amongst the most popular which makes perfect sense to me really, the kitchen is a focal part of the home for me, I spend endless moments in time there and so I can see where a first time newlywed couple would be in need of assistance in this department! There is definitely a need to set up housekeeping and prepare to embark on cooking adventures that will soon be ahead! They needed everything from silverware and plates to bathroom toiletries!I had chosen Bed Bath & Beyond as the store for the perfect gift, I logged into the registry site prior to going to the store to see what they had included on their list. Then I printed off some things I thought would be just right for them and off I went.

Bed Bath & Beyond was great, they helped me locate the items I was looking for and they even wrapped the gifts I picked for free, no extra charge! And to think here all this time I been spending countless painful minutes in time trying to perfectly wrap gifts and they have it covered, who knew.
I wanted to pick something not necessarily unique but something I could picture them really using. I went with this useful looking ceramic knife, thinking how neat that would be, if it could be neat at all! It was a “as seen on TV” Yoshiblade ceramic knife, I had never seen one of these handy looking utensils before but it had my attention (scroll down to take a look at it)!

It’s made from diamond hard zirconium oxide, and is said to be 40% sharper than that of the average knife. It says it will never rust or peel and they guaranteed it to stay sharp for life! Did I mention it also came with a bonus peeler? They will want a good peeler they are a necessity! I can see it now, all the cutting with precision and slicing ever so thin difficulties will now be a thing of the past as we know it right! Why don't I own one of these? 


The second item I got was The Round 12” Skillet. To me this looks like it would be something good to use when cooking vegetables or shrimp, a healthy addition to a kitchen. I think it will come in handy.

It was time for the shower, I made my way slowly with caution patiently driving while searching for the red balloon that would signal me to turn left, I was a little on edge as I often am when I am unsure of where I am going, I felt like I was going too far and that I had to have past it but I just kept telling myself to keep going. I started to think to myself, I know I past it already so I called my friend but just as she answered there was the red balloon! Talk about timing, I got their just in time.

She was an awesome hostess she did a good job of putting everything together. There were snacks and appetizer type goodies prepared. My friend had made this sweet poppy seed salad with bacon and romaine lettuce and red onion that was quite tasty. 7-layer beans dip, along with a spinach dip and veggies with dip. A tuna salad was put together with croissants to go with them, there was macaroni salad, chips and a few deserts, and one was a fruit salad with snickers and Twix in it! Good stuff!


During the shower we played games for a little fun and entertainment. To start she put a necklace around my neck and said I couldn’t say her son’s name if so the person that heard me say it would take my necklace, at the end of the party who ever had the most necklaces would be the winner. I didn't win that game. 
Here are a couple of bridal shower game we played. I don't think that there are specific names for the games we played so I will just describe them to you.
1. Place a necklace around the neck of each guest (bride included), the guests are told that from this moment on they are not allowed to say the groom’s name. Whenever a guest accidentally uses the grooms name the person that hears it first will get to take that guest’s necklace(s). At the end of the party whoever has the most necklaces will be the winner.
2. Create a 20-30 question questionnaire that is given to the groom prior to the party. Questions from where was the bride and grooms first kiss was, and what is his favorite sports team to how many children does he want and where his dream vacation would be are asked to the groom. His answers are recorded onto an answer sheet. A copy of that same questionnaire given to him is then handed out to everyone except the bride (who has no idea) at the party. The guests then guess how many questions they think the bride will answer right. The winner is that is closest to her total right answers wins.  By the way I won this game, that's right highest score 14 right!
HINT:Think of some questions she won’t be expecting such as an animal does the groom think the bride reminds him of and why? This will keep it exciting and funny! Remind her it is a game and not to take offense!

3. A type of “Papier Coture”. Break the group of guest up into evenly divided groups with a roll of toilet paper per each group. The goal is to design a wedding dress on one of the guests in each group with toilet paper with a limit of 5 minutes to complete the dress. Once the time is up the group shows and explains their dress and the magnificent idea behind it and it is up to the bride to decide which group is the winner.
4. Give each guest a sheet of lined paper and a pencil or a pen. Take the name of the bride and groom, example Jennifer and Jared Smith, and give everyone 1 minute to see how many words they can make out of the name. The winner with the most words will receive the prize. Guess what I won this one too! Score!
HINT: Have additional or extra gifts on hand in the event more than one of the guests is winners.
HAVE FUN!

At the end of the shower we all gathered around to see the bride open gifts from everyone and share them along with recipes that may have been attached. 
She opened up my gifts and she said her groom to be said that he had to have the Yoshiblade, which by the way if you notice is cheaper at Amazon.  She said that she had wanted the skillet because her coach swore by!  She said that it was recommended a Weight Watchers thing that works excellent!  That was good to know, I really had no idea, so I learned a little something to.
The shower was then over and it was time to get ready for a ball game!






No comments:

Post a Comment