Sunday, March 20, 2011

5 Facts About Spinach,


I bet I am not alone when I say spinach has a more distinct taste this is especially true with my family.  To win them over it takes a little creativity on my part, I have to put together those certain recipes to counter the taste of this powerful vegetable.

Five Facts About Spinach


1.   Spinach is an easily accessible and versatile superfood.
2.   Spinach consumption in the U.S. rose 33% after Popeye comic strip became a hit in 1931.
3.   Spinach is best eaten raw.  When cooked it loses its nutrients.
4.   Spinach has many essential nutrients including Phosphorus and Zinc.
5.   Spinach is a very good source of dietary fiber, protein, vitamin A, C, E (alpha Tocopherol), vitamin K, riboflavin, vitamin B6, Folate, calcium, iron magnesium, potassium copper and manganese. These play a crucial role in maintaining our body’s health maintaining health structure preventing defects and helping with red blood cell production and fighting free radicals.
6.   Spinach promotes good eyesight with its source of lutein and zeaxanthin, phytonutrients that are necessary for healthy eyes
I use it fresh in pastas lightly tossed, in dips and salads as well.  Growing up my mom would use canned spinach seasoned and fried with eggs!  That is something we picked up from my father.  I will have to put together a little recipe, it definitely isn't the most attractive dish but it’s a taste I grew up with and one that is delicious you will move past the first appearance!

You might also like... 

No comments:

Post a Comment