Saturday, October 16, 2010

Halloween Hayride

So Halloween is up and coming and I thought it would be fun to take the little sauce along with my nephews and niece out to our first working farm.  What a wonderful way to harvest the memories!  It is a bit out of the way for me but I think it is great whenever you can show your family some of the heritage around us.  Every year in the Fall different places have these Harvest Festivals and cornfield maze’s, with hayrides, bonfires, and haunted maze’s. 


The one we are going to also has a farmers market where you can purchase flowers, gifts and produce.  Tell me this is not a great way to get together to get out and enjoy some good old-fashioned family fun!
While it is not our average colder October, the evenings on into the nights bring cool breezes and a a bit of a chill to the air.  Any more it is a must for me to be comfy and cozy when at all possible, so I brought warm clothes and with all the people running around I would recommend wearing closed-toe shoes of some sort after all it is a working farm.
So I sit here thinking what have I done?  A maze?  Will we get lost…I hope not!
A vision came to my thoughts, me in a maze with the kids?  Their ages range from 4 to 11 and I can just see it now my nephew and son taking off in one direction and me with the other two in the other direction when the niece suddenly has to go to the potty and they youngest will be crying because he's cold and hungry!  I would hate to get lost and scar the little ones for the rest of their lives as they know it, and with my luck my phone would have no service!  The more I thought about it, maybe for our first little adventure out to this working farm it would be better to treat ourselves to the farms hayride, definitely the safer bet! 


Besides you should have seen how long it took me to find my way home when we first moved.  I am easily turned upside down, and while I have really come so far I am so much better, this is still a realm that takes me into my own deep dark fears!


My road less traveled!   



They have a few tractors that constantly work taking people on their hayrides around the farm.  It was pretty neat, our driver the Corn Cop (very appropriately named) taught everyone a little about working farm and how it works.  He gave us some history about the land years ago to today and about the vegetation.  Then he took us on the trail under a bridge that connects two of the cornfield maze’s and leads out to the pumpkin patch where there are pumpkins as far as the kids can see we stopped and we got to pick out one pumpkin each of our choice that was fun the kids enjoyed it. 


While we were looking for that perfect pumpkin out in the pumpkin patch something happened somewhere in the 28 acres of field a fire had started I asked our Corn Cop if he was going to call the fire department he replied "I wonder if I should"?  Wonder if I should...Well that was not comforting at all!



The fire was a ways away in the middle of the corn I wondered how they were going to put it out.  It was apparent that the Corn Cop was not going to do anything about it.  Eventually a man on a dirt bike came flying by heading for the fire.  I could see that it was dying down and that they were able to put an end of that whew, relief huh! 
Quick tip:  If I can give some advice here on saving money, check on line for coupons.  These come in handy every cent counts I forgot and ended up having to go back and reprint them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment